My sister and I have this cheesy potato recipe from our Dad from many moons ago. We make it all the time and bring it to dinners and potlucks. It’s the perfect dish to travel with and if you can make it ahead of time, you only need to heat it up right before serving. Highly sought after, this dish is super easy to make.
But I must warn you, if you make it once, you’ll have to make it many more times. It’s very easy though so you won’t mind. A sure winner at all dinners and get togethers.
The trick is to have all the ingredients measured and ready to go before you start. Here is a quick video to show you how easy it is:
Now watch carefully and you will see the science behind the magic.
All you need is love. And a cheese grater. Well, and this:
- 1 bag 750g frozen hash brown potatoes (the smaller the cut the better)
- 2 284ml cans mushroom soup
- 1 500 ml container of sour cream
- 1 200 gram package of cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 onion, minced
- 1/4 C butter melted and cooled
- 4 TB grated Parmesan
- Into a rectangular baking tray that has been sprayed with Pam, mix all ingredients together except parmesan which goes on top.
- Bake in 385° for at least an hour - I like to leave it a little bit longer. When it is golden and bubbly you know it is ready.
- I put more cheese in it than this recipe suggests but it is a personal preference.
- If you add the butter while still hot from being melted it'll freeze into a big clump on the hash browns - trust me I learned this the hard way.
See how easy that was? I hope you enjoy it as much as every other person who has ever tried it does.