Last night I tried a new recipe. I’ll now attempt to recreate it for you on this page. I lost the original link but it shows up on Facebook now and then. With a bit of customization, it’s our favourite new dish. I even took pictures! You must understand that I live with people who all have different preferences. It’s maddening. Thing one won’t eat vegetables and fruit. Thing two doesn’t like most dairy products. The spouse – well he will eat anything. I don’t usually like seasoned potatoes.
When I come across a dish that pleases them all – excites them even, I want to share it.
I asked my husband what we should call this dish and he said “I don’t care what you call it – just make sure there’s seconds for me.”
Loaded Potato and Buffalo Chicken Casserole
2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, cubed (1″)
8-10 medium potatoes, cut in 1/2″ cubes
1/3 cup olive oil
1&1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. paprika
2 Tbsp. garlic powder
6 Tbsp. hot sauce
2 cups fiesta blend cheese
1 cup crumbled bacon
1 cup diced green onion
- Preheat oven to 500ºF.
- Spray a 9X13″ baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mix together the olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and hot sauce.
- Add the cubed potatoes and stir to coat.
- Carefully scoop the potatoes into the prepared baking dish, leaving behind as much of the olive oil/hot sauce mixture as possible.
- Bake the potatoes for 45-50 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes, until cooked through and crispy and browned on the outside. <We like them very crispy so I left them in just over an hour but kept checking. Last little bit went fast.>
- While the potatoes are cooking, add the cubed chicken to the bowl with the left over olive oil/hot sauce mixture and stir to coat. <There wasn’t any left when I did it so I added more hot sauce and olive oil.>
- Once the potatoes are fully cooked, remove from the oven and lower the oven temperature to 400º.
- Top the cooked potatoes with the raw marinated chicken.
- In a bowl mix together the cheese, bacon and green onion and top the raw chicken with the cheese mixture.
- Return the casserole to the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the topping is bubbly delicious.
Serve with extra hot sauce and/or ranch dressing.
And most importantly – Invite me over so I can test it for you.
(It’s that good!)